Thursday, October 13, 2016

Theatre




Last week were the performances for the fall play I was in, Arsenic and Old Lace. For all of you that came to see it, I hope you enjoyed it :)

It’s always sad once a show ends. Going from rehearsing 2-5 hours a day to nothing is really jarring. That’s partly because I have so much more time on my hands now. It makes my evenings feel abnormally long. But, it’s mostly because I’m not going to see my cast mates every day when I’ve seen them almost every day for the past three months. I run into everyone around school, but it’s not really the same. It’s not all of us together—we’re all dispersed and now the play is just a memory that we all share.

I feel like there is a special type of bonding that only comes from being in the cast and crew of a show. Especially for a small cast, like Arsenic’s. You get to bond over the stress of school during tech week, how crazy some scenes are, the costume choices. During tech week, everyone is together for 4-7 hours each night. That’s a long time to be around the same people. You get to know each person better than you did before. There is a sense of teamwork, trying to put on the best performance possible. The number of inside jokes grows each day. It’s amazing and it’s one of the reasons I enjoy theatre so much.

This fall play was my last. I feel a little heartbroken even thinking about it. When everyone started hugging me before the last performance, it really hit me that I wouldn’t be doing this again next year. Uni theatre has been a big part of my life ever since I’ve started here. I’ve been in almost every show since my subbie year. Although I’ll still have lots of other theatre experiences between Stud Prod and the musical, the fall play has always been my favorite. I’m not a hug fan of singing—mostly because I’m not good at it— which makes the musicals a little less enjoyable for me. They’re still really fun, but I don’t really get to act as much as I do in the fall plays. Studprod is still tremendously fun, but the rehearsal process is so much shorter and there are so many small casts that you don’t really get to mingle with everyone. The fall plays have been the perfect mixture of acting and mingling for me. Acting has made me happy for these past 5 years. I'm not sure that I could imagine what high school would've have been like if I didn't have Uni theatre.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, the play was amazing, you were amazing, as I've already told you. This post was sooo sweet and it make me get that bittersweet feeling of being a senior in general. I think you really got your emotions across. When I saw the play, it was really cool for me since I knew everybody onstage, being a senior. The play felt more personal, even just for me an audience member, since I knew people. I just loved this post, I felt like I could totally understand what you are feeling, through your writing, and being a fellow senior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about soccer, the season is ending and it is sad not to be out there with the team every day. Luckily for me I still have next year to look forward to, so I will have more opportunities to participate in this again. It must be hard knowing that this was your last time in a Uni play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing here is so genuine and you express your feelings really well in this post. By the way, the play was unbelievable. You and the other cast members were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzy I feel exactly the same way after shows. Although after StudProd, it's nice to actually go outside and see the sun ;) This was a great post with an honest, engaging voice. I'm sure you'll be fantastic in a future theatre production!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a well written blog post! Somewhat of a tribute to the time that you spent with the cast members. I haven't been in a show since I was small, but I still hold on to the memories that came of backstage shenanigans, parties, or slip ups on lines. I hope your memories are fond and you hold on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizzy, I really love this post. I can really feel your passion and love for Uni theatre--it's something you can totally write about in your college essays :) #getinspired
    Anyways, this post was beautiful. Theatre sounds like so much fun and sometimes, I regret not doing it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete